Frequently Asked Questions

Below are a range of Frequently Asked Questions

If in the light of these you need to contact us please do so using the contact form

Submitted on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 14:26

Complete a Mooring Sub-Licence Application form (see documents) and send it to the Company with the £36 (inc VAT) application fee, which is payable on the first issue of a sub-licence to a particular sub-licensee.  You should provide full details of the boat, as the Company will need to check that the boat is suitable for the particular mooring position.  In completing the form you are required to confirm that the boat is properly insured and even though you are sub-licensing the mooring, you are still bound by the conditions of the licence including ensuring that the mooring is checked every year by an Approved Mooring Operator. You should give a copy of the Mooring Licence Conditions to the sub-licensee.

If the application is accepted, the Company issues the sub-licence to the sub-licensee, although all other formal communication is to the Licensee.

As a Licensee you will be asked every year if the arrangement is continuing for that year, and you will be required to sign the declarations stating ongoing compliance with the Licence Conditions regarding the insurance of the boat and checking of the mooring by an Approved Mooring Operator.

If your sub-licensee wants to change their boat you need to contact the Company to request approval for the change.

If you sub-let your mooring to someone else, then you need to apply through the Sub-Licence Application form again as detailed above.

A sub-licensee may not sub-let a mooring.

Submitted on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 14:25

Probably not. The river is very overcrowded in most areas. If there is scope for an extension, this is restricted to a maximum of 1’ 11″ as a short term concession, and the mooring will revert to its original length when the boat changes.

Please use the contact form should you wish to request an extension.

Submitted on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 14:23

No.  The St Mawes Pier and Harbour Company ( have visitors’ moorings available for short term rent in St Mawes Harbour.

Submitted on Thu, 02/04/2020 - 13:06

There are two types of users, the licensees who have a licence for a mooring site, and the sub-licensees* who rent a mooring from a licensee. Renting is the only way of obtaining a mooring quickly, and this may be done in any of the following ways:

1. Through any of the three boatyards on the river. They have some moorings of their own for rent, but may also be aware of licensees wishing to sublet.

2. By advertising locally, for example in the St Mawes Sailing Club (if a member), in the Roseland Magazine, or in the local press.

3. By posting a wanted notice on the Forum of this website.

4. By word of mouth.

*sub-licensing must be approved by PRML in each case.

Anyone wishing to become a licensee can apply to go on the waiting list, by completing a form and paying a £36 (inc VAT) deposit. This does not guarantee success, as the only moorings available for distribution are those where the rights are given up by licensees. The mooring then reverts to the Company, as licensees cannot sell or transfer their mooring rights, other than to members of their family (if a family registered mooring), or to someone already registered as a co-licensee. Please note that priority in redistribution will be given to individuals whose main residence is in the TR2 area.